- S. R. Yazdi, R. Nosrati, C. A. Stevens, D. Vogel and C. Escobedo* (2018) "Migration of magnetotactic bacteria in porous media", Biomicrofluidics. [published online, featured article]
- Juan Gomez-Cruz, Srijit Nair, Angel Manjarrez-Hernandez, Sandra Gavilanes-Parra, Gabriel Ascanio and Carlos Escobedo* (2018) "Cost-effective flow-through nanohole array-based biosensing platform for the label-free detection of uropathogenic E. coli in real time", Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 106, 105-110.
- Saeed Rismani Yazdi, Reza Nosrati, Corey A. Stevens, David Vogel, Peter L. Davies and Carlos Escobedo* (2018) "Magnetotaxis Enables Magnetotactic Bacteria to Navigate in Flow", Small, 14, 1702982. [top 5% of all research outputs scored by Altmetric, Dec. 2017]
Front Cover Article
** Related media:
- "Go with the Flow (or against it)", Queen's Gazette, Eureka Alert, PHYSORG, ScienceDaily
- "Using magnetic fields to control bacteria with the potential to deliver drug treatments", NanoWerk
- "Magnetically Guided Bacteria Move Confidently Within Strong Currents, May Soon Deliver Drugs In Body", MedGadget
- H. Dies, J. Raveendran, C. Escobedo, A. Docoslis* (2017) "Rapid identification and quantification of illicit drugs on nanodendritic surface-enhanced Raman scattering substrates", Sensors & Actuators: B. Chemical, 257, 382-388.
- Reza Nosrati, Percival Graham, Biao Zhang, Jason Riordon, Alexander Lagunov, Thomas Hannam, Carlos Escobedo, K Jarvi, and David Sinton* (2017) "Microfluidics for sperm analysis and selection", Nature Reviews Urology, 14, 707–730.
article from Nosrati et al. on microfluidics". In Twitter
- S. Guo, C. A. Stevens, T. D.R. Vance, L. L.C. Olijve, L. A. Graham, R. L. Campbell, S. Rismani Yazdi, C. Escobedo, M. Bar-Dolev, V. Vashunsky, I. Braslavsky, D. N. Langelaan, S. P. Smith, J. S. Allingham, I. K. Voets and Peter L. Davies* (2017) “Structure of a 1.5-MDa adhesin that binds its Antarctic bacterium to diatoms and ice”, Science Advances, 3(8), e1701440.
- Structure of superlong, ice-binding protein reported, Chemical & Engineering News
- Dutch and Canadian researchers detail one of the biggest proteins ever found, Eureka Alert
- Researchers detail one of the biggest proteins ever found, PHYSORG
- New study details one of biology's largest proteins, Breitbart
- J. M. Gomez,* S. Nair,* G. Ascanio, C. Escobedo. (2017). Flow-through nanohole array based sensor implemented on analogue smartphone components. Proceedings of SPIE Optics + Photonics. SPIE Optics + Photonics, Proceedings Volume 10346, Plasmonics: Design, Materials, Fabrication, Characterization, and Applications XV; 1034624 (2017); doi: 10.1117/12.2272433.
- K. K. Gomez-Lizarraga, C. Flores-Morales, M. L. del Prado-Audelo, M. A. Álvarez-Pérez, M. Piña-Barba, C. Escobedo* (2017) “Polycaprolactone and polycaprolactone/ ceramic-based 3D-bioplotted porous scaffolds for bone regeneration: A comparative study”, Materials Science and Engineering: C, 79, 326-335.
- H. Dies, J. Raveendran, C. Escobedo, A. Docoslis* (2017) “In situ assembly of active surface-enhanced Raman scattering substrates via electric field-guided growth of dendritic nanoparticle structures”, Nanoscale, 9, 7847-7857
- S. Nair, C. Escobedo* and R. G. Sabat* (2017) "Crossed Surface Relief Gratings as Nanoplasmonic Biosensors", ACS Sensors, 2 (3), pp 379–385.
- J. Raveendran, H. Dies,* A. Mohammadi, C. Escobedo, A. Docoslis. (2017). Ultrasensitive analyte detection by combining nanoparticle-based Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) substrates with multivariate analysis. Materials Today: Proceedings (accepted).
- Z. Zhu, P. Chen, K. Liu, C. Escobedo (2016) "A Versatile Bonding Method for PDMS and SU-8 and Its Application towards a Multifunctional Microfluidic Device", Micromachines, 7(12), 230.
- B. Sorce, C. Escobedo, Y. Toyoda, M. Stewart, C. J. Cattin, I. Banerjee, R. Newton, A. Stettler, A. A. Hyman, A. Hierlemann, D. J. Müller* (2015) “Be Stronger or Run: Mitotic cells generate pressure to round up against or to escape epithelial confinement”, Nature Communications, 6, 8872, p.1-12.
- Bürgel, S., Escobedo, C., Kemmerling, S., Braun, T., Hierlemann, A.* (2015) “On-chip electroporation and impedance spectroscopy of single-cells”, Sensors and Actuators B. Chemical, 210, 82-90.
- Escobedo, C. (2013) "On-chip nanohole array based sensing: a review", Lab on a Chip, 13, 2445-2463. Open Source
- Kemmerling, S., Stefan, A., Benjamin, B., Sauter, N., Escobedo, C., Hierlemann, A., Stahlberg, H., Braun, T. (2013) "Single-cell lysis for visual proteomics", Journal of Structural Biology, 183 (3), 467-473.
- Escobedo, C., Chou Y., Rahman M., Xiaobo D., Gordon, R., Sinton, D., Brolo, A. G., Ferreira, J. (2013) "Microfluidic concentration gradient generator integrated on nanohole array imaging for in situ quantification of ovarian cancer markers", Analyst, 138, 1450.
- Escobedo, C., Brolo, A. G., Gordon, R., Sinton, D. (2012) "Optofluidic concentration: Plasmonic nanostructure as concentrator and sensor", Nano Letters, 12 (3), 1592-1596.
- Fan, M., Wang, P., Escobedo, C., Sinton, D., Brolo, A. G. (2012) "Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) Optrodes for Multiplexed On-Chip Sensing for Multiplexed On-Chip Sensing of Nile Blue A and Oxazine 720", Lab on a Chip, 12 (8), 1554-1560.
- Escobedo, C., Vincent, S., Choudhury, A. I. K., Campbell, J., Brolo, A. G., Sinton, D., Gordon, R. (2011) "Integrated Nanohole Array Surface Plasmon Resonance Sensing Device using a Dual-Wavelength Source", Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 21, 115001, 6 pp. [Highlights of 2011]
- Escobedo, C., Sinton, D. (2011) "Microfluidic Liquid Actuation through Ground-directed Electric Discharge", Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 11, 653-662.
- Scarff, B., Escobedo, C., Sinton, D. (2011) "Radial Sample Preconcentration", Lab on a Chip, 11, 1102-1109.
- Escobedo, C., Brolo, A. G., Gordon, R., Sinton, D. (2010) "Flow-Through vs. Flow-Over: Analysis of Transport and Binding in Nanohole Array Plasmonic Biosensors", Analytical Chemistry, 82(24), 10015-10020. [Featured in Optics and Photonics News, November 2010]
- Sacristan, C., Escobedo, C., Bojalil, R., Izaguirre, R., Cortina, E., Aranda, A., Catrip, J., Lespron, M. C., Springall, R., Sacristan, E. (2010) "In vivo Assessment of Hemocompatibility of a Ventri-Cular Assist Device in Healthy Swine - Measurement of Inflammatory Parameters", Archivos de Cardiologia de Mexico, 80(2), 67-76.
- Eftekhari‡, F., Escobedo‡, C., Ferreira, J., Duan, X., Girotto, E. M., Brolo, A. G., Gordon, R., Sinton, D. (2009) "Nanoholes as Nanochannels: Flow-Through Plasmonic Sensing", Analytical Chemistry, 81(11), 4308-4311. [Featured in in Nature Photonics 5, 591-597 (2011) and in Nanowerk, (2009)]
- Ren, L., Escobedo, C., Li, D. (2002) "A New Method of Evaluating the Average Electroosmotic Velocity in Microchannels", A New Method of Evaluating the Average Electro-Osmotic Velocity in Microchannels", Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 254:184-189.
- Sinton, D., Escobedo-Canseco, C., Ren, L., Li, D. (2002) "Direct and Indirect Electroosmotic Flow Velocity Measurement in Microchannels", Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 254, 238-242.
- Ren, L., Escobedo, C., Li, D. (2001) "Electroosmotic Flow in a Mirocapillary with One Solution Displacing Another Solution", Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 242, 264-271.
- Dies H., Escobedo C. and Docoslis A. (application being filed 2016) – U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 62/373,537. (**note: title withheld due to a non-disclosure agreement in place)
- Escobedo C. et al, (granted 2016), “Flow Through Metallic Nanohole Arrays”, U.S. Patent US20120292496.
Miniature Fluidic Devices for Rapid Biological Detection.
Editors: Sang-Hyun Oh, Carlos Escobedo and Alexandre G. Brolo
Conferences & Seminar Presentations (select)
- Escobedo C.* (keynote talk) “Biosensing with Subwavelength Metallic Nanostructures”, International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE) UNAM Chapter Conference, Mexico City, 9-11 Nov., 2016.
- Escobedo C.* (invited seminar) “Nanofabricated photonic structures for implantable biosensing applications”, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 27 May, 2016.
- S. Rismani Yazdi,* D. Vogel, C. Stevens, P. Davies and C. Escobedo. Microfluidic experiments measure the ability of magnetotactic bacteria to swim against microflows. MicroTAS 2016, 8-14 Oct., Dublin, Ireland. (accepted)
- C. Stevens,* S. Rismani Yazdi, S. Guo, M. B. Dolev, I. Blavsky, C. Escobedo and P. Davies. Using microfluidics to study biofilm formation and disruption with an ice-binding bacterium. CRYO2016: The 53rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Cryobiology, Canada, July 24-27, 2016.
- H. Dies,* M. Bastin, A. Docoslis, and C. Escobedo. Dielectrophoresis collection of metallic nanoparticles in a microelectrode system. Canadian Society of Mechanical Engineering Congress 2016, Kelowna, BC, 26-29 June, 2016. [**3rd prize to best paper]
- S. Nair, I. Cusano, R. G. Sabat, C. Escobedo.* Integrated and cost-effective nano-photonic-microfluidic sensing platform. Canadian Society of Mechanical Engineering Congress 2016, Kelowna, BC, 26-29 June, 2016.
- A. MacLean,* A.S. Lehnert, M. Thomas, A. Al Rashed, H. Horton, C. Crudden, C. Escobedo, H.-P. Loock. Design of an SPR imaging system to study novel self-assembling carbene monolayers on gold. Poster Presentation, Biosensors 2016, Göttingen, Sweden.
- S. Rismani, C. Stevens, P. Davies and C. Escobedo.* Using microfluidics to study biofilm formation and disruption. Biosensors 2016, Göttingen, Sweden, 8-14 Oct., 2016.
- Escobedo, C.* (invited seminar) “Integrated Microsytems for Biological and Biomedical Applications”, Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), New York, 5 Nov., 2015.
- Escobedo, C.* (keynote conference talk) “Optofluidic Platforms with High Dynamic Range for Bioanalytical Applications”, 5th Symposium in Biotechnology and Tissue Engineering, Morelia, Mexico, 11-13 Aug., 2015.
- Escobedo, C.* (invited conference talk) “Integrated Nanoplasmonic-Microfluidic Sensing Platform with Improved Dynamic Range”, Photonics North ‘15, 9-11 June 2015, Ottawa, Canada.
- Escobedo, C.* (invited seminar) “Integrated Microsytems for Biological and Biomedical Applications”, Seminar Series, Department of Chemistry, Queen’s University, 13 Feb. 2015.
- A. MacLean,* M. Thomas, J. Barnes, C. Escobedo, H.-P. Loock “An SPR imaging spectrometer to optically study self-assembling films”. Poster Presentation, 31st Symposium on Chemical Physics (SCP), Waterloo, ON, Nov. 2015.
- A. MacLean,* M. Thomas, J. Barnes, C. Escobedo, H.-P. Loock. Design of an SPR imaging system to study novel self-assembling carbene monolayers on gold. Poster Presentation, Queen’s Graduate Chemistry Symposium Waterloo, ON, Sept. 2015.
- A. MacLean,* M. Thomas, J. Barnes, C. Escobedo, H.-P. Loock. Design of an SPR system to study self-assembling monolayer formation. Poster Presentation, CREATE Symposium, Kingston, ON, 13-14 Aug. 2015.
- Hof, L. A., Escobedo, C., Abou Ziki J. D., Wuthrich, R.* “Additive Manufacturing through Imprinting Gold Nanoparticles on Glass Substrates by Spark Assisted Chemical Engraving (SACE)”, 227th ECS Meeting, The Electrochemistry Society, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 27 May 2015.
- K. K. Gomez-Lizarraga,* Piña-Barba, M. C., Escobedo, C.* “Fabrication Of Polycaprolactone-Nukbone® (PCL-NKB) Scaffold By 3-D Plotting System For Bone Tissue Engineering”, 2015 TERMIS-AM Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, 8-11 Sep., 2015.
- Escobedo, C.* (keynote talk) “Optofluidic Analyte Concentration and Sensing Using Metallic Nanohole Arrays”, Annual Instrumentation Conference SOMI XXIX, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, 29-31 Oct, 2014.
- Escobedo, C.* (invited seminar) “Biosensing at the Micro- and Nanoscale”, National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore, May 23, 2014.
- Escobedo, C.* (invited conference talk) “Controlled Analyte Concentration and Flow-Through Transport Using Optofluidic Nanostructures”, Photonics North 2014, Montreal, QC, 28-30 May, 2014.
- A. MacLean,* M. Thomas, S. Stuart, J. Barnes, C. Escobedo, H.-P. Loock. Design of an SPR Imaging System for the Monitoring of Chemical Kinetics. Poster Presentation, Symposium on Chemical Physics (SCP), Waterloo, ON, 7-9 Nov., 2014.
- Escobedo, C.* (invited conference talk) “Optofluidic nanostructures for the spatial and temporal concentration of analytes”, META ’14 conference, NTU, Singapore, 20-23 May, 2014.